Re: Fresh installation: Keymap broken under X

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Kenshi Muto wrote:

From my experience, localization-config hasn't solved preseeding
problem yet. It means user needs:

1. install xserver-xfree86
2. answer X debconf
3. run localization-config (value is changed, but XF86Config-4 isn't
  updated)
4. run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
5. answer X debconf again (although we can choice noninteractive mode
  by hand)
This resulted in exactly the same XF86Config-4 in my case, that
means - it helped nothing.

One more information: I have a German keyboard for the login
('-' character at the right place, German Umlauts etc work in
the login window), but if the user logs in the keyboard is
reset to en.  This smells not like a broken XF86Config-4.

I was "nearly" able to fix it for the user by doing

    setxkbmap de -print | xkbcomp - $DISPLAY 2> /dev/null

The "nearly" means that I have trouble with the '>' key (at German
keyboard between shift and 'y'.  This just does not work in this
way.

Kind regards

           Andreas.