Re: Fresh installation: Keymap broken under X

At Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:37:04 +0200,
Christian Perrier wrote:
> Well, don't try convincing me...rather convince the X team to raise
> the priority of the keyboard question (that's a possibility)...or the
> D-i team to make an exception and use localization-config though it is
> a very recent package.
>
> Plans for synchronizing keyboard settings for X and console are
> post-sarge...so only workarounds are possible for sarge:
>
> -localization-config installed for all non-US installs
> -X keyboard config question priority raised

From my experience, localization-config hasn't solved preseeding
problem yet. It means user needs:

1. install xserver-xfree86
2. answer X debconf
3. run localization-config (value is changed, but XF86Config-4 isn't
   updated)
4. run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
5. answer X debconf again (although we can choice noninteractive mode
   by hand)

> BTW, I'm not completely sure this is a backward leap : I don't
> remember whether a scratch woody install with X in frnech with a
> french keyboard ends up with a french X keyboard....
>
> Both possible solutions have strong potential drawbacks : such drastic
> last minute change are obvioulsy risky...

I like that xserver-xfree86 provides current keyboard configuration at
priority 'high' for Sarge. User needs to input their kbd name
manually, but it is better than current poor status.

Keyboard mapping of console and X should be solved in the future,
but I don't believe it can be solved easily in time for Sarge release.

Thanks,
--
Kenshi Muto
kmuto@debian.org