Re: PROPOSAL to sarge+1 - Split main in sub-repositories

|| On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:05:10 -0300
|| Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> wrote:

dr> Em Sex, 2004-08-20 às 18:47, Otavio Salvador escreveu:
dr> Yes, but this would require wider changes, while the proposal I made
dr> will only require changes in the ftp-master scripts (besides a
dr> transition plan to update the sources.list of everybody), not in apt.
>> No. Isn't only ftp-master changes. How APT will know about which parts
>> should get?

dr> Hmmm... it's just a matter of pointing it too look at somewhere else...
dr> The structure of the repository is very flexible, is just a matter of
dr> using

dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main/gnome main/kde main/base

dr> or (inverting the organization)

dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/gnome main contrib non-free
dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/kde main contrib non-free
dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/base main contrib non-free

dr> ant it would work... This is how I'm doing with my reduced packages file
dr> in the local mirror...

Yes, this will in this way but then will broke all previous
versions. We need provide a full packages file too.

I'm not saying this is bad idea only this is not full compatible with
previous approch and need be.

Can be available as an option for better management of which parts you
are including on your system. This could be good and I really like the
idea.

>> This approch will be mostly like what Progeny is currently doing in
>> Componitized Linux.
>> One package file for gnome, other for kde, other for base, and so on.

dr> Yes (loosely like), because there is still only one debian, I'm just
dr> giving the user the option to see the packages separated.

dr> I mean, this will not allow someone to take base from stable and gnome
dr> from unstable.

Will allow. But I don't see any problem with it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116