Re: PROPOSAL to sarge+1 - Split main in sub-repositories

Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> writes:

> || On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:05:10 -0300
> || Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com> wrote:
>
> dr> Em Sex, 2004-08-20 às 18:47, Otavio Salvador escreveu:
> dr> Yes, but this would require wider changes, while the proposal I made
> dr> will only require changes in the ftp-master scripts (besides a
> dr> transition plan to update the sources.list of everybody), not in apt.
>>> No. Isn't only ftp-master changes. How APT will know about which parts
>>> should get?
>
> dr> Hmmm... it's just a matter of pointing it too look at somewhere else...
> dr> The structure of the repository is very flexible, is just a matter of
> dr> using
>
> dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main/gnome main/kde main/base
>
> dr> or (inverting the organization)
>
> dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/gnome main contrib non-free
> dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/kde main contrib non-free
> dr> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid/base main contrib non-free
>
> dr> ant it would work... This is how I'm doing with my reduced packages file
> dr> in the local mirror...
>
> Yes, this will in this way but then will broke all previous
> versions. We need provide a full packages file too.

Nothing prevents a full Packages file and several smaller Packages
files to coexist. The current location can stay as complete file with
subdirs added for partial files.

I would like to have Packages files for essential, standard, extra,
optional, build-base (what you need to build packages), d-i-base (what
you need to build D-I isos) and maybe more.

> I'm not saying this is bad idea only this is not full compatible with
> previous approch and need be.
>
> Can be available as an option for better management of which parts you
> are including on your system. This could be good and I really like the
> idea.
>
>>> This approch will be mostly like what Progeny is currently doing in
>>> Componitized Linux.
>>> One package file for gnome, other for kde, other for base, and so on.
>
> dr> Yes (loosely like), because there is still only one debian, I'm just
> dr> giving the user the option to see the packages separated.
>
> dr> I mean, this will not allow someone to take base from stable and gnome
> dr> from unstable.
>
> Will allow. But I don't see any problem with it.

MfG
        Goswin