Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:28:43PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2004.07.22.1647 +0200]:
> > very widely deployed architecture in the very near future, and (speaking
> > as a user here) Debian is doing a disservice to its users if it ignores
> > this fact and waits until sarge+1 to support it.

> ... only if we take 2.5 years for sarge+1 to release. If we release
> sarge+1 shortly thereafter, like after 4-6 months, it would solve
> all problems for all i can tell. And it's not like we cannot. We
> just have to get our act together.

> obviously though, we would have to make that commitment. I would not
> want to hear in 4-6 months that we are not ready.

I don't think 4-6 months is realistic for sarge+1.  While everyone does
seem to agree that shorter release cycles would be better, meeting
deadlines requires buy-in from the whole community, and it's going to
take some time for the release team to show the developers -- and
ourselves -- that shorter release cycles are really possible for Debian.

1 year for sarge+1 seems more likely, with a goal of 9-month cycles
after that.  Considering how long it took the tool chain to stabilize
again after woody's release, I don't think it's a good idea to bet on
*ever* hitting 6-months for release, and I don't think everyone even
agrees that this is desirable.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer