[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 08:28:43PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Noah Meyerhans <noahm@debian.org> [2004.07.22.1647 +0200]:
> > very widely deployed architecture in the very near future, and (speaking
> > as a user here) Debian is doing a disservice to its users if it ignores
> > this fact and waits until sarge+1 to support it.
> ... only if we take 2.5 years for sarge+1 to release. If we release
> sarge+1 shortly thereafter, like after 4-6 months, it would solve
> all problems for all i can tell. And it's not like we cannot. We
> just have to get our act together.
> obviously though, we would have to make that commitment. I would not
> want to hear in 4-6 months that we are not ready.

Whether or not this is wise, the d-i team has spoken repeatedly of releasing
updates throughout the life of sarge separate from the standard stable updates.
Our current blocker would remain ready in that timeframe, so can anyone think
of a technical (rather than philisophical) reason that would prevent this as
even a possibility?

 - David Nusinow

Reply to: