Re: Jabberd2 packaging question

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 09:30:14AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 11:28:47PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 02:04:36PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > > The previous package of jabberd2-bdb (2.0s2-1) required libdb4.1.
> > > The upcoming package will use libdb4.2.  Between these two versions
> > > the log file format has changed (db format has remained the same).
> > > This change appears to require that the db4.1_recovery utility from
> > > db4.1-util be run against the existing database prior to starting
> > > the new version of jabberd2-bdb which uses the newever libdb4.2.
> >
> > This should not be the case. If it is, something is broken (and it's
> > probably jabberd). Can't guess what without debugging the thing.
>
> I'm not quite following the above.  The previous version of Jabberd2
> starts and stops fine with no problem accessing the DB that was created
> by that version (using libdb4.1).  Likewise the new version has no
> problem accessing a DB that it created (using libdb4.2).  The problem
> occurs during a normal upgrade.  The old package version is stopped and
> removed and the new package errors when attempting to open the DB
> created with the previous version of Berkeley DB.
>
> Should Jabberd2 be detecting and dealing with the DB change
> programatically? Or, do you think that it's not properly
> closing/cleaning the DB when it shuts down.

The latter. Unfortunately there are quite a large number of ways this
could have gone wrong, and it sounds subtle.

It is possible to deal with upgrades automatically in the program
itself, but it's generally not a good idea; all else aside, you should
archive a database for catastrophic recovery[0] before attempting to
upgrade.

I would expect that you just have to shut down all programs and run
db*_upgrade on the databases for this transition.

[0] http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/transapp/archival.html

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |