On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 07:38:55PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> writes:

> > I'm sitting here mystified as to why you would even *want* to try to run a
> > service for Debian on software that isn't DFSG-compliant, let alone say
> > that it has nothing to do with the DFSG.  Doesn't that really miss the
> > entire point?  The purpose of Debian is to build a Linux distribution
> > based on free software, and the build system is pretty integral to the
> > process of building Debian.

> To see what is going on with the buildds.

> Compare that to debian using google to search its webpages.

I'd say that the situation is closer to that with the Debian machines
such as lists.debian.org, which used to run qmail (essentially because
at the time it was felt that there was no free software really up to the
volume).  While the existing setup was doing the job well enough there
was a substantial pressure to move over to a free alternative because it
seemed silly for a strong free software advocate like Debian to use
non-free software.