Re: Mozilla "PostScript/default" security problems

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 18:01, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Greg Folkert [Thu, Jul 08 2004, 01:40:00PM]:

> > > That's no excuse to break it for people who use the
> > > network-transparent capabilities of X. These people do not need a
> > > useless copy of Xprt installed on the wrong host. Hence, Recommends.
> >
> > If you want the print engine to be *ON* your machine go use Windows. I
> > use X with one font server per lan, one print server per lan, most of
> > the "work" is done from an xnest login to the main workhorse. Why then
> > would you force me to run like Windows?
> >
> > I'm with Andrew on this one. Recommends. But make it a bit more clear as
> > to why you need one somewhere.
>
> I am not. There are already tooo many exception for "advanced users on a
> network" - no dependencies on font packages, no dependency on network
> daemons etc. - skipping packages that 90% of users need to install
> anyway. It is great for the minority of "flexible users" to not have to
> deal with dependencies but it is bad for the most users that are pissed
> by looking around again and again for stuff that maintainer decided to
> separate for no apparent reason.
> So I suggest to set
> Depends: xprt-server | network-client
> so the few people that actually have a network server for xprt can
> manage it with equivs and everyone else gets what she needs.

Oh, so now *I* have to manage *MY* choices with equivs now. Shoving YOUR
choices of what is best down my throat. I don't agree. How about if I
just want to run X applications (such as Mozilla) from a Workhorse
Server but display on a remote machine? Should I then have to have the
print engine on that server? How about I only want some "X" libs on the
machine to compile something for another machine? Should I then have to
have Xprint on it then? I am guessing you only see your small part of
the world.

If you realized what you are proposing here, you'd go blind.

How about you take a look at what Debian is really about. It is not
about THESE set "set" of Definitions, it is all about being able to
Choose what you want despite of SOMEONE thinking I am crazy. Debian BY
FAR is not a Beginner's Distro. Although it can be, if they (the 90% you
speak of) are capable of comprehending guides and manuals and man pages.

You talk about exceptions... those are NOT exceptions. Heck, Debian by
default (base system) doesn't even install "less" or "wget". If you want
a distro that DOES everything for you, then get Linspire or Xandros.
They even cause you to pay to get free things Debian just has.

Debian *IS* the best distro ever if you can understand the ideologies it
is built upon. There is No Cost, there is No Company, there is No
Commercial Drive, there IS Volunteers, and lest you forget, we are
donating our time to help people like you, Fix your mis-understandings
about what Debian does or does not do.

You Speak of 90% of the users. I Call your Bluff to back that number UP.
I'd be extremely surprised if you could prove 50% of Debian users are
NOT advanced/power/technical users (or prove that 50% are Beginner/Joe
Blow/Aunt Tilly users). I'd even wager 75% of all Debian users are
Power/Advanced/Technical users. I am talking Debian straight, not
derivatives like Linspire or Xandros or KNOPPIX and their kind.

> A such hook should also be in kde/gnome (dependency on
> x-window-system-core),
Ahh make meta-packages depend on Meta-Packages... Smart.

>  mlterm (installing sane fonts by default)
Sane? By whose standard?

>  and maybe some others.
Then do something about it. Submit Bugs, Submit Bugs with Patches, Join
an upstream team, join a Debian Team, get involved.

But, remember, I have my choice and you have yours. Don't you ever force
me to use your choices, unless I am using YOUR machines.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup