Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:21:50PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> If you cannot think of a way to detect which strings with @ are probably
> email address and which one are definitely not, I think you are less
> skilled than me.

Which of the following should be obfuscated and which ones shouldn't:

mpalmer@debian.org
mpalmer+110594@debian.org
fooblat@nospam.dingbat.xxx
myz.209857467x5ty632@hoobler.it
myz.12-x1@hoobler.it
f12@nowhere.nerd

Once you've worked that out, give me the algorithm by which you worked that
out.  Just for those five -- assme for now those are the only possible
strings that can contain @ symbols in them.

Once you've done that successfully and accurately, I'll consider that your
idea may have merit.

> Aren't you really not capable to make test on a string and to let it
> as it is if the script is not able to determine at 100% the string is
> an email address?

I'll bet you can't even do it, with all your human intelligence.  How's a
poor computer going to do it?

> What does means impossible in your mail? Impossible for you to
> implement it? Probably, to be able to do some work, first you need to
> be willing too.

Yeah, you should be willing to do some work.

> >    Manager: "I don't know anything about programming, but I want you to
> >              make it do X."
> >
> >    Programmer: "X is impossible"
> >
>     Manager: "How so?"
>
>     Programmer: "Because."

Programmer: "Because of reason Y and reason P".

Mathi^H^H^Hnager: "Oh.  Well do it anyway."

- Matt