Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 12:09:50PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> For instance people is unlikely to have email
>> address like @bla or $@adad{da}. We can discriminate what could be an
>> address and what is probably not by checking the first part of the
>> address.
>> And even the second part gives clues: unless it end with a .fr, .org,
>> .edu (anything that exists), there is no need to obfuscate it.
>
> Message id's generally look like an email adress, for example, your
> message id is [🔎] m365a2pdht.fsf@wotan.attique.in . Also, you don't want to
> fuck up patches and/or cvs/subversion/arch commit messages, regardless
> whether or not they contain email adresses.

Like some others, you are not interested in improving the proposal but
just finding issues. It do not think is attitude is productive and I
will not reply to all the messages of this kind.

That said, I think spamassassin do already things more complicated
than... keeping the ^Message-id: .*$ as it is.

> How would a script _not_ obfuscate that, but do obfuscate real email
>adresses? Answer: it can't.

Instead of focusing on how things cannot be done, try to work out how
things could be done.

But indeed, if you enjoy spam, it is probably best to do nothing about
it, to only consider that things we havent tried are not feasible.

>> The obsfucated address could be replace by strings like firstpart[1],
>> firstpart[2], each one being a link to another page in an area only
>> DD can access.
>
> Silly.

It is an argument?

Please, try to be a bit constructive.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |