Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 03:21:50PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> Not having lot of knowledge in a particular technical field does not
> means having no knowledge in this particular technical field. No,
> Steve, your quotation does not fit, it is completely off-topic.
>
> If you cannot think of a way to detect which strings with @ are probably
> email address and which one are definitely not, I think you are less
> skilled than me.

A lot of people have mentioned that it is not as easy as it sounds.

> Aren't you really not capable to make test on a string and to let it
> as it is if the script is not able to determine at 100% the string is
> an email address?

Huh?

> What does means impossible in your mail? Impossible for you to
> implement it? Probably, to be able to do some work, first you need to
> be willing too.

He's not willing to do so because it is not possible to tell if
something is an email address or something that just looks like one, or
vice-versa.

I've tagged the appropriate bug as wontfix. If you want this to change,
bring it up to the technical committee. Discussing it on here more will
not be constructive in any way.

	Cheers,

Pasc