Re: fighting spam || avoiding spam

On 07-Jun-04, 16:13 (CDT), Josip Rodin <joy@srce.hr> wrote:
> > That said, I would be interested in knowing why we don't reject such
> > messages. There's absolutely no reason to be running an open relay.
>
> That's not being "open relay", that's just not using the RBLs.

No, I meant that blocking based on the *source* being an open relay or
open proxy is acceptable, since there's no excuse for having such a
system.

> In any event, I figure the main reason is that we always wanted all
> the users to be able to send mail to us to report problems.

Which I agree makes a lot of the spam reductions options (subscription
required, or some of the extremist options like DUL blocking)
unacceptable. The xbl.spamhaus.org appears to be based on fairly
legitimate criteria, though: your site has to be a source of spam that
is somehow magically fingerprinted as coming from an open proxy or open
relay. That seems unlikely to affect someone struggling to get their
Debian mailserver working, since the configuration scripts of both exim
and postfix make it fairly difficult to set up such a system. And since
it would presumably bounce back to the correct person (rather than being
dropped later), at least they would *know* they weren't getting through,
and could be directed to fix it.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland