Re: Don't understand the trouble with firmware !

On May 26, Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> would be non-free.  Those *choosing* to run Debian on a non-free
> firmware could do so with non-free installation disks.  What is the big
> problem?
That it's not a choice anymore for many users, because many classes of
modern devices like WiFi and Bluetooth cards or USB DSL modems need an
host-loaded firmware instead of having it in a EEPROM as it happened in
the past.
I don't see this as a "compromise", because we already ship many kinds
of data which lacks "source", like images and fonts.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [6453 ca3zcxQOxEguk]