Re: Don't understand the trouble with firmware !

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 09:52, A Mennucc wrote:
> to fix ideas, let's write a short fiction story

Lovely story, but it has already happened (albeit not yet with CPUs).
The non-free nVidia drivers exist.  Debian doesn't include them.  There
is a Free alternative, and those who choose to stick with an entirely
Free solution can happily use it, (though it is less capable than the
non-free version,) or choose different hardware altogether.  Yet in the
face of all of this, Debian has not yet faded to irrelevance.  So what's
your point?  Compromise our standards, "or else"?  I don't think so.
Why bother with Debian at all, if you're going to take that stance?

Ben
--
synrg at debian dot org