Re: Don't understand the trouble with firmware !

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 10:49, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> Sorry Ben, but this kind of issues with processors are a bit more
> substantial than any firmware problem for graphic cards support.
> You can always install debian in that case and solve X support problems
> in a second time. That could be impossible for processor firmwares.
> I'd like simply to see some reasonable execeptions too general rules
> considered by policy to avoid substantial problems in a not too
> far bad future...

I don't buy this.  Why would it be impossible for processor firmwares?
Surely this is just an implementation detail.  Processor firmwares would
land squarely in non-free.  Installation disks including those firmwares
would be non-free.  Those *choosing* to run Debian on a non-free
firmware could do so with non-free installation disks.  What is the big
problem?

> But again it's a problem of pragmatism vs ideology :)

With in Debian there is a blend of both.  Any Debian developer can work
on non-free packages.  That is their prerogative.  Those packages just
won't be a part of Debian.  Scary stories about how hypothetical evil
firmwares for CPUs could make Debian fade to irrelevance in the future
are FUD, plain and simple.

> So I had the damn suspect there's not a solution acceptable for all.
> Let the majority express its idea and go ahead, without discussing
> for ever on the angels sex.

There is the same solution there always has been: keep the non-free
material out of Debian.  Let the users make the choice.  If they want to
use non-free, let them.  But as for Debian main, it remains entirely
Free.

Regards,
Ben
--