Re: Non-Free

On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 09:42:41AM -0700, Dave Crosby wrote:
> I have already re-installed the RH system so don't have the message
> available in front of me. The attempt at inserting the (rtl8139too)
> module and another one (I think it was natsemi.o) resulted in two
> undefined arguments. I don't remember the exact names, but they had the
> word "registry" embedded in them. There was also a statement with the
> error messages that went something like 'Hint: the module you are trying
> to install has something other than a GPL license and therefore cannot
> be installed. Contact the provider of this software for assistance. Only
> they can help you'.

Er, no, the license of this module isn't what keeps it from being
*loaded*, it's what keeps it from being *fixed*.  Binary kernel modules
will break every time the kernel interfaces they use change; if the
kernel module you have doesn't match the version of kernel you're
running, you won't be able to load it.  If you don't have source for the
module, then as the message says, the only option you have is to talk to
your vendor.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer