Re: Non-Free

Bas,
Thanks for the reply - Someone really IS listening!

I have already re-installed the RH system so don't have the message available in front of me. The attempt at inserting the (rtl8139too) module and another one (I think it was natsemi.o) resulted in two undefined arguments. I don't remember the exact names, but they had the word "registry" embedded in them. There was also a statement with the error messages that went something like 'Hint: the module you are trying to install has something other than a GPL license and therefore cannot be installed. Contact the provider of this software for assistance. Only they can help you'. There was no 'tainting' message - just an outright no-loading of the module. Hope this helps. If it doesn't, and you (or someone else) would like more info, I'm willing to go through the reloading proceedure again to get more specific info.

Regards,
Dave Crosby

Bas Zoetekouw wrote:

Hi Dave!

You wrote:

Woody installed OK, but when I loaded the (binary) driver module for my Belkin Network Card I got an error message that basically said the driver module was a "non-free" piece and was not being linked into the kernel for that reason. This is quite distressing. I bought a different (major brand) network card and got the same result with that driver. It appears that current debian policy is so radical about the free/non-free issue that they have put a little facist policeman inside of my box who is going to tell me what I can and cannot do.

Are you talking about messages like this one?
"XXXXX: module license 'YYYYYY' taints kernel."

In that case, it's just a warning and the module itself should load
fine.
In case it's another message, could you please quote it in full?

PS: debian-policy is a list on which internal Debian policies are
discussed.  Questions like this really belong on debian-devel.