Re: apt-proxy Was: dpkg rewrite in Java

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 17:07, Dan Christensen wrote:
> A couple of questions about using it.  Since apt thinks all requests
> are going to the same host, it doesn't parallelize any of them any
> more.  But I think it would improve things if it did.  Do you know a
> way to get apt to parallelize requests if the first component of the
> pathnames are different?  Or is there another work around for this?
> Can I keep my sources.list as usual, but set apt's http proxy setting?

Actually there is some parallelisation going on - you'll see it if you
look in apt-proxy's logfile.  Apt sends several requests at once to each
server in a pipeline, and apt-proxy starts several at once.  It's not as
intelligent as apt's parallelisation - all it does is start downloading
several requests at once as they come in from apt, regardless of which
backend server they map to.  It would be possible to make apt-proxy be a
little more clever about which requests it answers first; that is on the
TODO list.  Making apt_proxy work using apt's http_proxy setting is
another feature on that list :)

> Second, when I do an "apt update", I can't tell anymore which
> repository apt is currently using, because it only shows things like
>
>   Hit http://jdc.math.uwo.ca testing/main Packages
>
> and I may have several repositories with a testing/main section.
> Any idea how to get apt to show the first component of the pathname?

I'm afraid not - there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that in apt.
It does display the messages in the same order as the entries
sources.list, so you can make a reasonable guess which server it is
using.  Thankfully, if there is actually an error, apt will print the
complete pathname that it tried to retrieve in the error message.

Chris