Re: partial Debian mirroring - Was: dpkg rewrite in Java

Chris Halls <halls@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 21:45, Tobias Hertkorn wrote:
>> apt-proxy blockes until all data is received. Eg. if you try to
>> download kernel images over dialup (extrem example) apt-get times out
>> and complains. It also slows down the overall process dramatically.
>> Being a script doesn't help either.
>
> This only applies to version 1, and only when using rsync as a backend.
> Version 2 (in experimental) is written in Python, is much faster, and
> streams files as it downloads them from all backend types.

I have switched to V2 some time ago, and there are two things I don't
like about it:

- Big memory footprint, especially when downloading big
  packages. There seems to be a correlation between the size of the
  package and the memory consumed by apt-proxy, which is really bad
  for things like OOo.

- Generally high CPU consumption

other than that, I think it's very nice.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | Rotty@ICQ      | 118634484@ICQ | a.rottmann@gmx.at

Q. Why is top posting bad?