I've never been much of a fan of FAI, I'm afraid. :)

I do have the benefit that anything I develop in that realm I'll have to
deal with for 1-2 years in an environment where I need to (re-)install
at least 150-200 machines a year.  It better damn work. :)  The hacks I
did to make autoinstall 'not suck' for our use are great, but they
aren't polished by any means.  They work most of the time, or break
badly and give horrible information about what broke.

Thanks,