Re: native packages

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> of course you are right. You (and others) probably got me wrong. The
> .diff.gz system is great, availability of original tar balls also. For
> the very most packages, this system is fit and ok. What I say is that,
> for whatever reasons (for example upstream sources being in some very
> strange format) has to create a .tar.gz file from scratch anyway, and
> wants to do so, he should be able to create a non-native package without
> a .diff.gz.

I disagree. Just assume that you are a user of such a package and want
to try to build a Debian package of a development snapshot. This is by
far easier if you extract the archive you got in the way described in
README.Debian, remove stuff as described in README.Debian (or keep it if
you want to have non-free things, or do whatever you like) and then
(try to) apply the Debian-specific changes of the old version.

This procedure will be much harder if there is no difference between the
repacked/crippled upstream archive and the Debianized archive.

> I hope I made my point more clear :-)

Clear, but still wrong in my opinion. Hennings' other points are also
valid, I think

Regards, Frank
Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie