Re: more evil firmwares found

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 08:59:31PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> I strongly disagree with the idea that Debian should just contain non-free
> "firmware" software for the indefinite future.
>
> (Of course, sarge should have a warning label: "This release of Debian is
> known to be full of non-free software.  Wait for the next release if you
> want a release which we tried to make 100% Free Software."  But given that
> hypocrisy about this appears to be alive and well in the Debian Project, I
> don't expect anyone will agree to attach such a warning.)

Are you being deliberately inflammatory? Is this a troll?

I don't think anyone has proposed ignore the issue indefinitely.
It has been proposed that we ignore it for now on the grounds that it's
both hard to fix and less significant than the GFDL issue, which we're
also ignoring for sarge.

If you are commenting on the non-free GR then you've missed the issue
entirely. non-free was never part of Debian (the distribution) and nobody
has proposed changing that.

I think it's a bit unfair to say we haven't tried to make sarge 100%
free. Some problems just can't be solved in a reasonable timeframe. If
you want to delay the release for another year or more we could solve
it, I'm sure. I don't see how that serves our users in any way.

As always if we force our users to use other distributions (the ones
that don't really care about free software) we lose the opportunity to
preach to them later about the advantages of free software.

Speaking of hypocrisy, you don't appear to be either a developer
OR in the non-free queue. What am I missing?

Hamish