Re: more evil firmwares found

Norbert Tretkowski wrote:
[snip]
> > False. We have nothing against people running non-free software on
> > their machines, and we explicitly pledge to support those people.
>
> Through removing firmware from the Linux kernel, we're making their
> life harder. That's not what I'd call support, that's the opposite.

If the notion of firmware as distributed software is widely accepted
in Debian, the IMHO most sensible way to support debian users is to
provide a complete kernel in non-free, as well as installer images
which would contain such kernels.

> > What we should not do is distribute the non-free firmware in the
> > archive where we promise not to distribute non-free software.
>
> The firmware microcode is required to use some piece of hardware...

Since it is commercially benefical for vendors to detach the firmware
from their hardware, we will see an increasing number of such drivers
in the future.

In the end, we will have a useful kernel in non-free, and a free one
in main as face-saving gesture.

Thiemo