Re: more evil firmwares found

Thiemo Seufer wrote:

> Since it is commercially benefical for vendors to detach the firmware
> from their hardware, we will see an increasing number of such drivers
> in the future.

And accordingly, there will be increased benefits in having firmware under
Free Software licenses, because it will be *possible* to modify it, and it
will be only restricted by licensing.  When it's burned into hardware, it
doesn't matter what the license is, because you can't change it without a
soldering iron.  When it's software, it's worthwhile to have it under a
free software license.

> In the end, we will have a useful kernel in non-free, and a free one
> in main as face-saving gesture.
May I repeat that all of the hardware on two different recent machines in
this house runs *without* requiring non-free firmware downloads?

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/