Re: more evil firmwares found

* Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Norbert Tretkowski <tretkowski@inittab.de>
> > * Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > > Most people do not care whether their software is free or not.
> > > Debian does.
> >
> > Thus Debian shouldn't run on hardware which requires non-free
> > binary firmware?
>
> False. We have nothing against people running non-free software on
> their machines, and we explicitly pledge to support those people.

Through removing firmware from the Linux kernel, we're making their
life harder. That's not what I'd call support, that's the opposite.

> What we should not do is distribute the non-free firmware in the
> archive where we promise not to distribute non-free software.

The firmware microcode is required to use some piece of hardware...

I don't see the difference between distributing it through the Linux
kernel or having it directly on-board on that hardware.

Norbert