Re: [custom] Updated docs regarding meta package building

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Free Ekanayaka wrote:

> The bottom-up  approach you suggest is  definitively the way to go. Of
> course that  the best suited people  to provide the knoppix-* packages
> are the  Knoppix team itself.  Are they  already working to  something
> like this?
When I did a workshop on LinuxTag Karlsruhe last year Klaus Knopper
was present and regarded it as a really cool idea.  He would definitely
support efforts in this direction but he admitted that he does not
feel competent enough regarding Debian packaging and his time scale
does not permit to work in this direction.  Moreover Fabian Franz
(who is busy writing the harddisk installer for Knoppix and some other
Knoppix related stuff) was successful in implementing the bottom-up
approach for PowerPC.  BUt this was more or less a design study and
Fabian told me that he has time constraints to continue working on
this topic.

There were some other people interested and did some stuff which might be
a good start, but all in all it is currently not much more than an idea ...

> Moreover this confirm my impression that there  are many people around
> working independently on similar issues more or less related with what
> the CDDs are all  about, but without  knowing each other.
Definitely!
My main concern is to fix this in the first place.

Kind regards

       Andreas.