Re: Screw non-free.

Dalibor Topic <robilad@kaffe.org> writes:

> Anthony Towns wrote:

>>> The license forbids to distribute anything which might be used to
>>> replace parts of the Java package (e.g. another run time or Java
>>> library).
>> Hrm, must've been a different license to the one that I saw
>> then. (I can't imagine anyone uploading that license to NEW anyway,
>> so...)
>
> Citing from
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/j2sdk-1_4_2_04-license.txt
>
> from the supplemental terms:
>
> C.License to Distribute Redistributables. Subject to the terms and
> conditions of this Agreement, including but not limited to the Java
> Technology Restrictions of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you
> a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license without fees to
> reproduce and distribute those files specifically identified as
> redistributable in the Software "README" file ("Redistributables")
> provided that:
>
> [snip]
>
> *(ii) you do not distribute additional software intended to
> supersede any component(s) of the Redistributables (unless otherwise
> specified in the applicable README file)*,
>
> [snip]
>
> That could cover jikes, for example, or jakarta libraries, since the
> JDK 1.4.x already includes them.

I still think this interpretation is wrong.  IMO it only prevents you
from virtually exchanging parts of the JRE (for instance using the JRE
with a different libjvm.so or rt.jar).

I've asked Sun whether it would be OK to have our debs in Debian
non-free a long time ago.  They had no problems with that.
IIRC the main reason for not including it was that debian-legal had
problems with this part of the license:

         you agree to defend and indemnify Sun and its licensors from
         and against any damages, costs, liabilities, settlement
         amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred
         in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third
         party that arises or results from the use or distribution of
         any and all Programs and/or Software

(Blackdown could change this license -- technically.  I'm no lawyer
and I'm not going to tinker with it.)

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/