Re: Screw non-free.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 10:07:11PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 09:35:32AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > More and more interesting non-free software isn't suitable even for
> > > non-free.  Examples include:
> > >   o Acrobat Reader
> > >   o Sun Java SDK
> > There's likely no fundamental problems stopping us from making non-free
> > acceptable to those sorts of upstreams.
> At least the Sun license is of the "contaminates other software"
> kind.  So we just a need a separate mirror infrastructure.

Hrm? There was a clause that said something to the effect of third
parties not being able to distribute it at all (ie, you have to get it
from blackdown or Sun) when it was last uploaded. I don't recall any
contamination stuff.

> The other option, a Debian-specific license, has horrible political
> implications.  Just imagine headlines such as "Debian Project Licenses
> Javan Technology From Sun", with quotes such as "After the deal, Debian
> users worlwide can easily leverage Sun Microsystems's proprietary Java
> technology, including the patented, award-winning HotSpot VM".
> Sun's PR people would certainly love such a deal.

Are we here to support our users who want to easily leverage Sun's
propietary Java technology, or are we here to spite Sun's PR department?

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:17:00PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> >>   o Acrobat Reader
> I doubt that, Acrobat Reader's license is completely fucked up, it
> disallows packaging. "you may not otherwise alter or modify the installer
> program or create a new installer for any of such software".

*shrug* We could restrict uploads to those that have been checked over
by Adobe people if they're worried about random twits screwing up
their software on them.  We could add some stuff to allow reporting of
our Acrobat packages' usage to Adobe, if that was a key issue. As long
as it's made clear to the users what's going on, the only thing that
needs to be a showstopper is the author expecting royalties for each
distribution of the app.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.