Re: Screw non-free.

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 07:02:45PM +0100, Juergen Kreileder wrote:
> I've asked Sun whether it would be OK to have our debs in Debian
> non-free a long time ago.  They had no problems with that.
> IIRC the main reason for not including it was that debian-legal had
> problems with this part of the license:

Well, j2se1.3 was rejected as not giving us clear permission to
distribute, back in Nov 2001; that rejection took a long time because
it was very unclear what the copyright file actually said, and there
wasn't anything that clearly indicated that it was okay for Debian to
distribute it. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any attempt
to reupload Sun java stuff since.

Indemnification requirements are bad, but not being clearly able to
distribute at all is a complete showstopper.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004