Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Wed 4 February 2004 19:56, Tilo Schwarz wrote:
> Steven Leach writes:
> > Number one on my 'not in Debian/Linux but should be' list is OS X
> > style (Or is it really NextStep style) application bundles.
>
> Actually, if I remember correctly, on the NeXT you could uninstall an
> app by dragging it to the trash, because the app bundle was self
> contained. But recently I heard (but I'm not sure), that on OS X some
> app bundles additionally install file outside the bundle, which gives
> a mess I guess ...

My limited experience with OSX (my mum's laptop) this actually works
really well, however when you remove the problem of a complex shared
library system, you gain the problem of larger applications, less
interaction etc.

It seems really good for high disk space systems with relatively few
apps (especially when the apps only uses the OSX system libraries like
cocoa or whatever it is called), as it makes it so easy to administer
its just silly. However, i think the way debian handles things is
better overall, and would be even better if apt had built in ways of
removing cruft from the system. Once the kapture/synaptic guys improve
their apps (synaptic is already very good, however its just to
complicated for non tech people), especially if there is some way of
hiding all the library packages etc, and just showing the main
'runable' applications, or having a more finely tuned tasksel, i think
we will have something unbeatable on the desktop.

Having the .deb mime type pre installed with the gnome/kde system and
having some sort of click and install on the deb, which obviously uses
apt to resolve dependencies, will be really nice. Kapture is definately
something i will look at contributing to once my final year is over,
along with my bittorrent client ive been neglecting.

Just my little rant

Tom