Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Scripsit Marc Wilson <msw@cox.net>

> But the printing system DOES magically stops working if the current
> incarnation of lprngtool that provides the master-filter script gets
> replaced by one that doesn't.

OK, I didn't know that. (In fact, I checked my own lprngtool-generated
printcap, and it didn't seem to contain anything harmful. Yes, one
datapoint, I know).

> The problem is that it also provides PRINTING FUNCTIONALITY,

That was never revealed in the package description, was it?

--
Henning Makholm       "It was intended to compile from some approximation to
                 the M-notation, but the M-notation was never fully defined,