Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Hi Andrew!

On 2004-01-07 13:55 +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I'm wondering how best to proceed. I'm not sure that I can on-the-fly
> convert the printcap. I'm thinking the best thing I can do is detect this
> situation, and pop up a Debconf note alerting the user to the situation, but
> I wanted to get a general opinion on whether this would be considered abuse
> of Debconf notes before I did this.

My personal feeling is that a debconf note is appropriate here; at
least I would like to see one. Even with priority important. It is not
nice if an apt-get upgrade breaks an important functionality
(printing) and does not tell me about it. I openly admit that I
_don't_ read README.Debian of all upgraded packages every time I
upgrade my system (which is very often).

As another replyer already said, if it is nontrivial to convert the
printcap and you cannot decide automatically _if_ a conversion will
succeed, then please don't do it and give some hints in README.Debian
how to do the conversion by hand.

Just my EUR 0.02,

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org