Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Hi!

On 2004-01-07 14:36 +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de>
>
> > It is not nice if an apt-get upgrade breaks an important
> > functionality (printing) and does not tell me about it.
>
> AFAIU, it does not break printing. Lprngtool is a user interface for
> *changing* the configuration of the printing subsystem. The upgrade
> may mean that the administrative user interface stops working, but as
> long as you don't need to change the configuration, the print server
> will keep functioning.

Really? I always thought that /etc/printcap directly defines the
available printers and lpr[ng] relies on it to print. (Although I use
CUPS for long now, so I don't want to bet on it).

Then I could remove printcap on an lprng system and all printers would
still be available? Where is the printer configuration stored then?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org