Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Hi,

I've recently adopted the lprngtool package, which was in a bit of a sorry
state, and packaged up a new upstream version, which addressed a number of
the longer term bugs. It's in unstable at the moment.

I've just discovered that an /etc/printcap entry made with the stable
version of lprngtool is completely incompatible with the new version of
lprngtool.

I'm wondering how best to proceed. I'm not sure that I can on-the-fly
convert the printcap. I'm thinking the best thing I can do is detect this
situation, and pop up a Debconf note alerting the user to the situation, but
I wanted to get a general opinion on whether this would be considered abuse
of Debconf notes before I did this.

regards

Andrew