Re: Debian Debconf Translation proposal ( again )

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:25:48PM +0100, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Mark Brown writes:

> > Certainly I've never found working with translations a problem -
> > they're very easy to handle and they don't show up all that often
> > anyway.

> I would like you all to think about this: In theory, Debian would like
> to see all its templates translated for a release.  So, in theory,
> Debian should cater for a workload of fifty different languages each
> adding template translations.

Sure, no argument there.

>                                The fact that it's not a problem atm,
> is only indicative of the different problem that Debian has too few
> active translators, not that the current system is perfect, as it
> won't scale to the amount of languages we'd like to support.

I'd wait and see how serious the problem actually is before causing
major ructions in the way that Debian works.  I would hazard a guess
that the current system will scale a lot better than you appear to
imagine it will - that's a lot of strings but there's also a lot of
maintainers and a relatively low churn rate.

As I said in a previous e-mail the last DDTP thread did manage to come
up with a system that would solve the translator side problems without
disrupting the process by which translations get into the packages
themselves or the chain of responsibility for packages.