Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

Clinging to sanity, Andrew Pollock mumbled in his beard:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently adopted the lprngtool package, which was in a bit of a sorry
> state, and packaged up a new upstream version, which addressed a number of
> the longer term bugs. It's in unstable at the moment.
>
> I've just discovered that an /etc/printcap entry made with the stable
> version of lprngtool is completely incompatible with the new version of
> lprngtool.
>
> I'm wondering how best to proceed. I'm not sure that I can on-the-fly
> convert the printcap. I'm thinking the best thing I can do is detect this
> situation, and pop up a Debconf note alerting the user to the situation,
but
> I wanted to get a general opinion on whether this would be considered
abuse
> of Debconf notes before I did this.

I hate debconf notices, personally. I feel this is exactly a case for
NEWS.Debian (yes, I'm a happy apt-listchanges user... - IMHO that tool
belongs installed by default).

cheers
-- vbi

--