Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 10:41:12AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> The thought goes something like this:
>
> "Well, the mascot of ALL the BSD derivatives is a daemon, in various forms"
> (and, I will note, they are quite adament about it *not* being a demon,
> which is why the form is *always* a cartoony/stylized form)

Pah, "demon" is just a corruption of "daemon" (should "daemon" be
spelled with an "ae" ligature?  if so, I think typography explains this
orthographic shift).  The only people I know of who make a distinction
are the BSD people and the authors of the Dungeons & Dragons game
system, who decided to have some neutral evil beasties to put in between
the lawful evil devils and chaotic evil demons.

Actually, I think daemons first showed up in the _Fiend Folio_, which
means we have the British to thank for this confusion.  ;-)

Or maybe they showed up in a Gygax-authored dungeon module before being
anthologized in the _Field Folio_, shifting the blame back to the U.S.
:-)

/me dons the mailing list charter cop uniform again and tasers himself

Hey, if I keep up this self-flagellation, I'll end up a better Christian
than those who object to my proposed naming scheme!  Tee-hee.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |        Fair use is irrelevant and
Debian GNU/Linux                   |        improper.