Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On 30-Nov-03, 09:23 (CST), Thomas Viehmann <tv@beamnet.de> wrote:
> If you absolutely want that, how about having a script on top of add
> user manage the system uids. That could avoid reassigning UIDs as long
> as it can and then ask the user about it (it could even reassign UIDs
> upun reinstallation).

If you're not going to re-use the ids (a good idea), then you might as
well leave a username associated with it, so that the admin identify
*why* it was used.

My personal opinion and policy is that user ids should never be re-used.
I realize that on very large networks with many users (possibly
distributed timewise, like a univesity undergraduate system), this may
not be possible, but it ought to be true for at least the "system"
users.

I think the idea of a namespace for usernames used by packages is a good
idea, but rather than "debian-", we should take this to the LSB folk, so
that we can get it done once.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland