Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 03:07:35AM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> >
> > How do you tell whether this user was created by a prior installation of
> > the package?  The typical snippet looks something like this
> >
> > if ! getent passwd | grep -q '^foobar:'; then
> >   adduser --quiet --system --disabled-password --no-create-home --home /var/somewhere foobar
> > fi
> >
> > Some packages remove the user when they are purged.  This is even worse
> > I think.
> So, long as you verify that the UID assigned to the account is a system
> ID then there should be little to no problem removing the user account
> on purge.  This is exactly what I do in jabber-common.

I know that jabber-common does this.  That's what triggered my comment.
It does not solve the possible name clash problems, and it may leave
files with uid/gid the removed user.

I really like the debian- namespace idea (a little bit cleaner than
using an underscore at the start of the username) and still think that
not removing the user is the safer option.

    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal