Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 03:07:35AM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> >
> > How do you tell whether this user was created by a prior installation of
> > the package?  The typical snippet looks something like this
> >
> > if ! getent passwd | grep -q '^foobar:'; then
> >   adduser --quiet --system --disabled-password --no-create-home --home /var/somewhere foobar
> > fi
> >
> > Some packages remove the user when they are purged.  This is even worse
> > I think.
>
> So, long as you verify that the UID assigned to the account is a system
> ID then there should be little to no problem removing the user account
> on purge.  This is exactly what I do in jabber-common.

I know that jabber-common does this.  That's what triggered my comment.
It does not solve the possible name clash problems, and it may leave
files with uid/gid the removed user.

I really like the debian- namespace idea (a little bit cleaner than
using an underscore at the start of the username) and still think that
not removing the user is the safer option.

Peter
    messages preferred.    | : :' :      The  universal