Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

Hi.

Peter Palfrader wrote:
> I know that jabber-common does this.  That's what triggered my comment.
> It does not solve the possible name clash problems, and it may leave
> files with uid/gid the removed user.
>
> I really like the debian- namespace idea (a little bit cleaner than
> using an underscore at the start of the username) and still think that
> not removing the user is the safer option.

If you absolutely want that, how about having a script on top of add
user manage the system uids. That could avoid reassigning UIDs as long
as it can and then ask the user about it (it could even reassign UIDs
upun reinstallation).
On a side note, if one wants to ensure removal of UIDs, one should
probably allow/mandate a pre-depends on the tool for removal of users.

Cheers

T.