Re: [RFC] adding system users: which is the best way??

Steve Greenland <steveg@moregruel.net> writes:

> I think the idea of a namespace for usernames used by packages is a good
> idea, but rather than "debian-", we should take this to the LSB folk, so
> that we can get it done once.

It may be worth considering using the technique that Dan Bernstein
advocates for these sorts of users, namely pre-pending those names with a
single capital letter.

There's a fair bit of discussion about this particular technique and why
it was chosen at <http://cr.yp.to/unixaccount.html>.  LSB may not want to
use the same letters, but some sort of prefix like "L" for
LSB-standardized accounts could work.

The capital letter approach has the advantage of keeping names short (so
ls and friends don't look odd) and being quite legal in account names, but
still looking significantly "weird" to users.

It does have the drawback that you could end up with accounts that differ
only in case, which means that MTAs would probably have to be checked to
make sure that they do the right thing.