kernel package names (was Re: Package libc6-dev depends on linux-kernel-headers)

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:13:28AM -0600, Ryan Underwood wrote:

> Before that realization, it seemed like the type of random cruft that
> sometimes gets pulled in on dist-upgrade; a name change would help
> alleviate that initial perception, IMO.  Why not libc6-linux-headers?

I'm in two minds whether or not to ask this, but I've been wondering
about the naming scheme for linux packages - kernel-*. Why not
linux-kernel-* or linux-* ? If alternative kernels in debian become
more popular, is there a potential for confusion in the future?

Thanks,

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/