Re: Circular Build-Depends; am I their only enemy?

On Nov 1, 2003, at 23:03, Scott James Remnant wrote:

The only sane definition of "build-recommends" would be that the build
won't fail without these packages installed.  Your example of texinfo
would most certainly cause the build to fail if it could not be found.

First, I never used an example of texinfo. I used an example of cdbs and springgraph.

When backporting, we like to think people doing so have what we call
"intelligence" and are able to solve build problems, such as missing
deps, themselves.

When administering systems, we like to think people doing so have what we call "intelligence" and are able to solve installation problems, such as missing deps, themselves.

Oh, wait, that's a violation of a "must" in policy. Perhaps its is part of the job of a Distro to make life easier for people? Quite frankly, why should it take manual intervention to build packages? Just to make life difficult?

Actually squat is a pure python package, it doesn't use anything from
build-essential and can be built easily without them installed.

LOL.

Actually, it does --- make. debian/rules is a makefile. I'm sure it also uses dpkg-dev.

Please read
<http://ant.apache.org/manual-1.6beta/install.html#buildingant> where
you will learn that Ant does not need Ant to build.

Yes it does, it just happens to include a binary distribution of itself
in its own source distribution.

"If necessary it will bootstrap the Ant code. Bootstrapping involves the manual compilation of enough Ant code to be able to run Ant. The bootstrapped Ant is used for the remainder of the build steps."

Doesn't sound like it needs that.