Re: Circular Build-Depends; am I their only enemy?

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 03:07:53PM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 01:53, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>
> > Am I the only people who things that, ideally, one could build Debian
> > from source, starting with only Essential and Build-Essential packages?
> >
> Yup, you're the only one.
>
> I'd be entertained how you intend to resolve the fact that "make" uses
> "make" to be built.  (Or that "gcc" requires a C compiler!)

make and gcc *are* build-essential.

> The way you resolve circular build dependencies is to bootstrap the
> package in some way, this may mean ignoring some missing depends or it
> may simply mean installing the binary package in the first place.

That's wonderful.  Especially when you are porting to new architecture -
the binary packages are real easy to obtain out of thin air.  And as
for ignoring some missing build-depends...  You do realize that they
are not created equal, don't you?  Dependency on texinfo is one thing;
dependency that leads to autoconf creating different config.h, OTOH...