Re: [debian-devel] [Deb] Re: Localized bug reporting?

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 03:10:29PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 31-Oct-03, 09:40 (CST), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> > Would you really feel obliged to monitor a layer that discussed problems
> > in a language you don't understand?
> You said that it would be good for the English ones to go there too, so
> that they could be pre-filtered for user errors or misunderstandings.

Well, I did also ask if you feel obliged to monitor random LUG lists,
too, which can serve as secondary BTSs for LUGs that have a lot of
Debian users.  Do you feel obliged to do google searches for people
having problems with your package?

Mainly, there's a class of bugs that might be user error and might be
real bugs, that can't be further diagnosed without access to the machine
they're appearing on, and whose submitter just isn't capable of working
out what went wrong. Those bugs are really better off reported to a
LUG, or a local consultant, or somewhere else that someone can actually
physically sit down at the computer and work out wtf's going on. But
when you get to that point, it's more about a "support tracking database"
than a "bug tracking system" IMO.

The way I see it, we should be thinking more about having a support
tracking database that can deal with local issues that make communicating
between the user and maintainer harder, and letting it cover both reports
from non-English speakers, and reports that aren't clearly bugs in the
distribution. YMMV, but it's probably worth considering.

> Now, regarding a 'translation only' BTS, I don't see the need. If I get
> a non-English bug report (which has yet to happen, in several *years*),

Probably because the BTS is for English. (And, for that matter, Debian
still isn't all that well i18n-ized, meaning most people who use it probably
can speak English, more or less)

Cheers,
aj

Australian DMCA (the Digital Agenda Amendments) Under Review!
	-- http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/blog/copyright/digitalagenda