Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On 28-Oct-03, 19:50 (CST), Ben Burton <bab@debian.org> wrote:

> I repeat: adding genericname to debian menu entries need not affect
> menu-methods that don't want to use it, it's a simple and completely
> painless transition and it allows non-native apps to integrate with a
> feature that environments such as KDE and GNOME *already* provide.

That's fine if the generic names show up as a tooltip or something on
the menu item. Putting in the menu entry text it self is distracting and
pointless.

> It's not about forcing this on systems that don't use it.  It's simply
> about providing better support for systems that do use it.

I use the GNOME menu system, but I use the debian menu tree, since the
standard GNOME tree is missing 90% of the installed software. I *really*
don't want every menu entry to look like

	...->Editors->Text Editor (vi)
	...->Editors->Text Editor (emacs)

It would be great if hovering on 'vi' brought up a tooltip that said
"Text Editor", though.

--
Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net