Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

Bruce Sass dijo [Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 05:08:12PM -0700]:

> > > Huh. Read it again, RMB = Right Mouse Button.
> >
> > Hmm, I thought you wanted the RMB stuff *instead* of genericnames.  If
> > you want it as well as genericnames then that's fine with me.
>
> We are still not communicating.
>
> Sure, instead of genericnames.  User sees "Internet/konqueror", thinks
> wtf is that, RMB on the konqueror enty pops up a menu with entries
> which: fire up khelpcenter on the docs, do "apt-cache show `dpkg -S
> /usr/bin/konqueror` (whatever), etc.
>
> I think that would be more useful than cluttering up the menues with
> (probably redundant) stuff in parentheses designed to cater to
> someone who doesn't know how to use the system docs.

...Unfeasible. You would have to work the RMB interface in every
window manager. The people maintaining minimalist WMs would not like
the extra fetures that adding a RMB would require. Some would in fact
not be able to implement it (i.e., if your WM requires pressing the
RMB in the root window and holding it until you get to the entry you
want, and then release it... How would you implement RMB?). Some WMs
are driven by interfaces/concepts - For example, WindowMaker
implements NextStep's look&feel. A RMB would go against it, and
its authors would be quite unhappy with it.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23