Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

Eric Schwartz dijo [Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 08:19:58PM -0700]:
> >>Applications -> Internet -> Web Browser (Galeon)
> >>                            Web Browser (Konqueror)
> >>                            Web Browser (Mozilla)
> >>                            Web Browser (Mozilla Firebird)
> >>                            Mail Client (Evolution)
> >>                            Mail Client (KMail)
> >>                            Mail Client (Mutt)
> >>                            FTP Client (KBear)
>
> Yes, and that makes it even worse.  If it's worth doing, it's worth
> doing right-- create another level of menu:
>
> Applications -> Internet -> Web Browsers -> Mozilla
>                                             Galeon
>                                             etc.

I would prefer going back to something similar to Markus Riester's
original proposal. It would be instad:

Applications -> Internet -> Web Browser

Or, by a specific request from the user, it would become:

Applications -> Internet ->  Mozilla (default web browser)
                             Galeon (web browser)
                             etc. (web browser)

Maybe this could be handled in a simple (although very unelegant)
way. We could provide two menu styles - call them for end user and for
power user if you like. The end user would get a menu as the first
example. The power user would get a full menu, as the second
example. The configuration would be switchable from a menu item
(probably inside our 'Window managers' category).

We would need to treat the new information (the 'genericname'
fields) as we treat /etc/alternatives - Probably, in fact, 'Web
browser' could point at /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser - but we would
need a way to override it using a ~/.alternatives or similar scheme.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23