Re: Brief descriptions in menu entries

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:54:42PM -0700, Bruce Sass wrote:
> > I said I liked it... but who aside from the current freedesktop
> > standard users gain anything?  Also, I have noticed improvements in
> > menu snappiness and kbuildsycoca run times when I remove all the
> > non-english translations from KDE's files (don't think I've bothered
> > yet with KDE-3.1 though).
>
> Other users stand to gain a lot more translations if the menu entries
> were pushed upstream, as well as uniformity across distributions. However,
> as you comment an english speaker probably wouldn't like that. ;)
> Personally I don't notice any slowdown.

try a slower box  :-)
I'd like to see all the i18n stuff moved into the i18n packages.

> > So what is stopping Debian's KDE from using the menu system to
> > generate all of its menu?
>
> The fact that the KDE maintainers want KDE to look uniform across
> distributions and support more than just English.

KDE is one of dozens of WMs and system menu generating apps, it should
conform to the system it exists on.  I don't really care if KDE's
menues look the same on Mdk and RH as they do on Debian... I do care
(a little anyways) that all the menues can be at least made to appear
appear similar when I switch between KDE, Fluxbox, UWM, etc., on this
box.

> Also KDE's menu is native .desktop format so it would require
> rewriting it as well for a negative benefit.

Hmmm, re-write KDE's menu-method(s) vs. everyone else re-write theirs.
Looks like a work=benefit for KDE vs. a negative benefit for everyone
else type situation to me.

> Separating out the
> Debian menu like Gnome does it might be a good idea but it used to
> be that way in KDE and was changed for some, probably good, reason.

IIRC: It looked like a (perhaps user influenced) whim to me.  At the
time someone was apparently looking at the situation and changes to
the menu system were expected.  I had suggested the Debian menues get
handed off to kappfinder so they could be smoothly integrated into the
KDE system and duplicates removed.

I still think that would be a good idea.

It should be feasible to have two or more alternate menu systems, so
long as the newcomers can do i/o in the default format... but maybe
this is a case where competition is not a good thing.

- Bruce